When it comes to rigid and sturdy smartphones, Samsung’s Galaxy S Active series has no match. The level of robustness provided by the devices of this series has till date been matched by only a few devices.
Therefore, it doesn’t feel surprising when rumors about the next big thing in Active series start surfacing just a few days after the launch of a new Active smartphone. In fact, that’s happening right now, as we’re talking about Galaxy S9 Active at a time when there have only been a few days since launch of S8 Active.
It’s general knowledge that Galaxy S9 Active is still at least 8-9 months away. However, the hopes for it are already high. So here we’ll try to take a look on all the rumors, specs and features of this smartphone to determine what it may have. Let’s begin:
Hardware Features – Samsung Galaxy S9 Active
While no solid rumors have come out till now about Galaxy S9 Active itself, Samsung Galaxy S9 is already in talks. So we can safely count on its rumors to predict the specifications of Galaxy S9 Active, because the later will simply be a rugged version of former.
We can also count on the features of just launched Galaxy S8 Active, as that’s the minimum standard for Galaxy S9 Active to meet. Based on these two criteria, here’s what we can expect from Samsung Galaxy S9 Active:
- Snapdragon 845 SoC: By the time Galaxy S9 Active is launched, Snapdragon 845 will be the latest and greatest mobile chipset. Given Samsung’s strong relationship with Qualcomm, it’s already rumored that company has managed to secure the early supplies of SD845 for GS9. So it can be assumed safely that Galaxy S9 Active will also come with a Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor.
- 4GB RAM: A shocking and slightly disappointing rumor about Galaxy S9 is that it’ll continue the tradition of 4GB RAM like its predecessor, unlike Galaxy Note 8 which came with 6GB RAM. The information leaked to XDA Developers, and if it indeed turns out to be true then we can expect Galaxy S9 Active to also come with 4GB of RAM.
- Dual cameras: According to same XDA leak it’s also rumored that GS9 will come with same dual-lens camera setup which is included in Note 8. So we’re expecting a 12mp or higher dual-lens primary camera to be included in Galaxy S9 Active as well, with optical image stabilization present in both lenses.
- Same display, improved resolution: Besides RAM another thing which is expected to remain same in GS9 is the size of its display. Just like its predecessor it’s rumored that GS9 will also have a 5.7-inch Infinity display. So if display of Galaxy S9 Active is also kept in-line with the current model, we’re going to look at a 5.7-inch AMOLED display in next model as well. The resolution, however, may be a bit higher this time as there’re rumors of a QHD+ display being used in Galaxy S9 (QHD+ = 1,800 x 3,200 pixels).
- Rear-facing fingerprint sensor: iPhone X might’ve ditched the fingerprint sensor, but Samsung has no plans of going that way. At least not for now. Rumors are suggesting that both Galaxy S9 and S9 Active will come with a fingerprint sensor, though it’ll still be on their backs instead of being embedded in the display for which we’ve been waiting since a long time.
- Bigger battery: Since Galaxy S Active series targets the adventurers, bigger batteries have always been a part of it. Galaxy S8 Active also came with a 4,000 mAh battery in comparison to 3,000 mAh one of GS8, so Galaxy S9 Active is also likely to come with a battery capacity of 4,000 mAh or more.
Galaxy S9 Active Software Features
- Android 8.0 Oreo: This is a no brainer. The latest version of Android 8.0 Oreo will come installed in the device
- Bixby: Samsung has been investing heavily in Bixby to make it a tough competitor of Google Now, so it’s also certain that Bixby will come pre-installed in Samsung Galaxy S9 Active along with its dedicated physical button.
- Improved camera app: We can certainly expect the already nice Galaxy Note 8 camera app to be improved further for Galaxy S9 Active. Though it’s already quite powerful and capable, some more filters and improved bokeh mode will be welcome additions.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Active Price
Now when we know the features we can discuss a bit about the pricing aspect of this device. With this kind of specs and the current price tag of Galaxy S8 Active it’ll be safe to assume that this device is going to cost more than $900.
S8 Active, which is already available in the market, is already rumored to be priced around these figures when it’ll be made available in markets other than US, so there’s no reason to price the next version below this tag. And the price tag will still be totally justified, because not only S9 Active be much better than its predecessor but also more rigid and sturdy. So in such a case, this price tag will be more than justified.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Active Release Date
Finally there’s the question of release date. Since Samsung is rumored to launch Galaxy S9 ahead of its planned schedule, Galaxy S9 Active may also be launched earlier than expected. We may see a launch sometime during the month of July or August.
Finally, there’re still no solid rumors particularly about Galaxy S9 Active at this point, so take this information with a pinch of salt. This information is based on our own analysis of existing and upcoming products, so nothing should be considered confirm until the final product is launched or an official confirmation is given by the company in some form. We’ll keep you updated with more information about Samsung Galaxy S9 Active as it comes out, so keep checking back.
Related Galaxy S8 Active Articles
Incoming search terms:
- samsung galaxy s9 active release date
- samsung s9 active release date
- samsung 9 active
- when does the samsung s9 active release?
- gs9 active
- s9 active att
- trouble free unless the 910725
- when is the galaxy s9 active coming out
- s9 active release date att
- att active s9